Search This Blog

Welcome to Quarry Hill's Blog!

Quarry Hill Creative Center in Rochester, VT, founded 1946 by Barbara and Irving Fiske, is Vermont's oldest alternative community and at one time was probably also its largest. In the 60s -80s, as many as 90 people lived here.
It was and is visited each year, often in summer (but in every season, really) by visitors from all over the world.
We welcome interesting and creative people who are peaceful, bring no weapons, don't believe in hitting children or killing animals, and enjoy the beauty of Vermont and of themselves.

Most of us do not adhere to any particular dogma or religion, though many do find Eastern philosophy closest to our own thought (some of us are also members of the Quakers/Society of Friends).
We value the individual, particularly people who are energetic and have a sense of humor.
Visitors are welcome-- and prospective residents, too. There are some places for rent, others for sale. If interested, get in touch!
And, please follow the Blog and comment whenever you like!

"The symbol is the enemy of the reality, and the reality is ever one's true guide, true friend, true companion, and true self." Irving Fiske, 1908-1990

Friday, July 1, 2011

July First

The summer is going by-- so swiftly, especially because we've had so much rain (a record, I believe, for April and May-- and it rained a lot in June too). Hell to the yes, as they say, something I've discovered only recently. Andrew is going to hike Mt. Abraham today. Even in summer it is sometimes hard to get myself up and out into the beauty of nature. I see things that need doing. I'm sure that everyone has this experience... and there are many other obligations (Neptune on First House in my chart; obligation to generation, group, and all beings "comes first," according to Astrology). Blame it on the Stars, as Brion wryly calls his astrological chart-creations (one can not call it a "business"...) We will be spending some time at Curtis Pond, Calais, VT for the first time since I lost my beloved little yellow house there in 2009-10. It seems a million years ago and only yesterday. I never went back after the house was lost, so this will be my first visit there (except for one winter stop there when I nearly got stuck in the snow and decided that to return in winter is not a good idea). Lost, lovely water lilies,loons, pond life, and most of all, deep froggy voices under the moon. Once more I shall see and be with you (in a different location)... Quarry Hill is so beautiful too. I have been working in my garden (mostly flowers) and making it as lovely as possible without a lot of help etc. Mostly annuals, inexpensive and easy to plant... but some new perennials which are hard to resist. Light of Summer-- I can't believe it's already turning back towards the time of the Long Night... but it is glorious and I should go out and enjoy it. Leave the dishes and the tidying for later. Pruned the lilacs. I hope I did it the right way! Sounds of people building and fixing their places, as they did so much in the 70s and 80s. I feel sure that QH will one day be completely full of new young people and new children and perhaps we will open our historic (see Freedom and Unity by Michael Sherman et al) school again. In memory of William who passed away July 18 2008, with the July 20, 1944 revolt against Hitler his final academic paper...

No comments:

Post a Comment