Search This Blog

Welcome to Quarry Hill's Blog!

Quarry Hill Creative Center in Rochester, VT, founded 1946 by Barbara and Irving Fiske, is Vermont's oldest alternative community and at one time was probably also its largest. In the 60s -80s, as many as 90 people lived here.
It was and is visited each year, often in summer (but in every season, really) by visitors from all over the world.
We welcome interesting and creative people who are peaceful, bring no weapons, don't believe in hitting children or killing animals, and enjoy the beauty of Vermont and of themselves.

Most of us do not adhere to any particular dogma or religion, though many do find Eastern philosophy closest to our own thought (some of us are also members of the Quakers/Society of Friends).
We value the individual, particularly people who are energetic and have a sense of humor.
Visitors are welcome-- and prospective residents, too. There are some places for rent, others for sale. If interested, get in touch!
And, please follow the Blog and comment whenever you like!

"The symbol is the enemy of the reality, and the reality is ever one's true guide, true friend, true companion, and true self." Irving Fiske, 1908-1990

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Juniper Springs in the 1950s, Ocala National Forest, Marion Co., Florida.

I found  this photo on the internet recently. I believe it is available for anyone to use, but If it's not, and you're the photographer or owner,  please let me know and I'll remove it if you like.  ) My brother, my cousin and I spent a lot of time in these beautiful waters when we were young. What a fortunate place to have nearby! It's only about five miles from the Ocala National Forest cabin that Irv and Barb somehow built before I was born, or when I was so young that even I don't remember. I have a lot of early memories.. We used to come to Juniper Springs for an Easter picnic. We would color the eggs, and get some jelly beans and chocolate kisses and a big chocolate bunny usually. My mother, Barbara, would hide the eggs and candy around the picnic area. Then the kids would find them. One  Easter-- I was less than 10, I think--Milton, my uncle, a classical composer, found all the candy and ate it before the kids could find it.  We were all very angry! i believe he thought of himself as a kid, and as I recall refused to be bothered that we were so upset.   I can't remember if it was the same day we argued about "The Fountainhead."  You can read my story of that day at Blogcritics.org. It's called "The Battle of 'The Fountainhead.'"  by Ladybelle Fiske. 
Juniper Springs was, and as far as I know, is so gorgeous. The water bubbles up from a spring far away in the mountains somewhere (Virginia, I always heard, but not sure that's true).  The water is always 72 degrees and bubbles out of big caverns in the limestone bottom of the pool. The water is turquoise, on any day that there is a glimmer of blue sky.  Diving down into the springs themselves is otherworldly and wonderfully freeing.  The water runs out through a water wheel at the building that looks like a mill, and into the streams and rivulets that eventually flow, I think, to the Ocklawaha River.  There are alligators and snakes away from the groomed area with its log-cabin dressing area and bathrooms, built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) in the 1930s.  The men who worked on projects to beautify the nation's national parks and forests, and on other projects, were paid a dollar a day (as I recall) and were fed. They did beautiful work, the work of artisans.  
I'm so grateful for Juniper Springs, where I swam also with my own children. 72  degrees came to be a little chilly for my taste, but I would jump in now if I were there. Irving loved all the swimming places of the area and would go in if the temperature was 72 degrees.  He swam every day if he could, including the day he died, April 25, 1990.
I hope to be at Juniper Springs again. It's almost exactly the same as it was in the 1950s. Also, Alexander Springs and Silver Glen Springs, other delectable natural swimming places in the Ocala National Forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment